Mahone Bay Employee Tests Positive for Covid-19
12:30pm – September 30, 2021
We have been notified by Public Health that an employee at our Mahone Bay Nursing Home has tested positive for COVID-19. The employee is home in isolation. We are working diligently with Public Health officials, Nova Scotia Health Authority and the Nova Scotia Department of Health and Wellness to notify residents, family, and staff. All residents and employees at the Home are undergoing testing. We will not be permitting visitation at Mahone Bay Nursing Home at this time.
The COVID-19 Response Team at the Home is working closely with Public Health to ensure all necessary measures are taken to protect the health and safety of residents and employees. The facts and actions taken thus far include the following:
- Earlier today, Thursday September 30, 2021, an employee contacted Mahone Bay Nursing Home and advised their supervisor that they were contacted by Public Health to inform them of a positive PCR COVID-19 test. That employee last worked on Monday September 27, 2021.
- Public Health officials were immediately notified and our COVID response action plan was immediately implemented.
- Contact tracing is underway. As part of that contact tracing, four other staff who were in close contact with the employee have been sent home as a precaution. Prior to being sent home rapid test screening was completed on these staff and results were negative.
- All residents have been isolated to their rooms and are being closely monitored for symptoms.
- Rapid testing of all employees and residents is underway. All staff working at the Home today have tested negative. Testing of residents is underway.
- The Home has been actively screening all staff, residents and visitors with serial PCR testing and rapid testing.
- The Home is closed to visitors and volunteers and all group activities have been suspended.
The employee self-identified as non-vaccinated. As of September 14, 2021, the vaccination rate for employees of the Home is 72% and for residents is 91%.
To families and loved ones of our residents, please notify any designated caregiver, family member or friends who have visited the Home since Monday. We recommend all those who have visited the Home since Monday get tested.
Please know that everyone associated with our company is focused on caring for your loved one and committed to keeping our residents and staff healthy and safe.
Please visit our website for more information and ongoing updates.
Ramsay Duff, Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer