At MacLeod Cares, the safety and well-being of our staff and residents are our top priority. With so many of our care staff performing physical labour to assist our residents, we want to make sure that safety is top of mind for our team as well.
Here are a few tips to remember when performing a lift & transfer with a resident:
- Ensure any equipment or support tools you may be using are in good working condition
- Position the residents’ chair or bed height to best accommodate the move
- Take the time to position yourself properly so you can limit any reaching or bending
- Check to make sure the path is clear
- Prepare your body – tighten your abs and use your legs. Move your feet to limit twisting of your body
- Communicate with your colleague(s) through the whole process to keep everyone focused
- Avoid having a resident put their arms around your neck
- Be prepared for the unexpected!
If you feel you require additional training or a refresher on this or other safety related functions of your job, please let your supervisor or our leadership team know. We want to ensure that each and every MacLeod Cares team member is set up for success in their role.