MacLeod Victoria Haven Nursing Home
About This Job
Reporting to the Support Services Manager, as a Maintenance Worker, you are accountable to perform a variety of work in the general maintenance and repair of buildings, facilities, equipment, and grounds.
- Service Orientation
- Team Work
- Quality Assurance
- Problem Solving
- Accountability and Dependability
- Perform general maintenance and clean-up of Home and grounds which include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform minor repairs on windows, doors, desks, tables, equipment, appliances, sinks, toilets, blinds etc.
- Prepare, paint and decorate interior and exterior surfaces, as required.
- Perform regular preventive maintenance inspections on common areas, building exterior, equipment and landscape.
- Within scope of employment and skill level, maintain heating and air conditioning systems, boilers, pumps, fan units, control panels, thermostats, fire alarms, extinguishers, etc.
- Maintain working knowledge of environmental safeguards and alarm systems.
- Perform floor maintenance that could include polishing, refinish floors, shampoo rugs as required
- Collect and dispose of all garbage and recyclables as required
- Prepare and set up rooms for meetings, parties, or various other activities and clean up afterwards as required
- Maintain outside grounds that include lawn mowing, removal of snow, ice, and debris, spray and remove weeds, sweep and clean gutters, etc.
- Proactively detect faulty operations, defective material and report those and any unusual situations to proper manager.
- Assists is with resident moves and moving furniture as required
- Required to complete tasks with little supervision
- Respond to resident and staff requests for maintenance.
- Establish and employ practices for the economical use of supplies and the care/use of equipment.
- Comply with Health and Safety and WHMIS requirements for Personal Protective Equipment.
- Use a variety of hand and power tools, voltage meters and material handling equipment in performing duties.
- Assist in the orientation and training of new Maintenance Department employees
- Comply with all provincial regulations/standards and established department policies and procedures
- Be aware of the Resident Rights & Responsibilities and endeavour to respect and promote it
- Attend in-service training as required in order to better serve the needs of the residents
- Attend resident meetings as required to be aware of changes
- Perform all other duties as assigned or needed.
- High school diploma/GED.
- 3 years of maintenance experience.
- Minimum 1 year of experience in the operation and maintenance of buildings.
- WHMIS Certificate
- Possess a clear Vulnerable Sector Criminal Records Check
- Hold a valid Drivers License
- Ability to perform small repairs (e.g. dry walling and painting, caulking, replacing washers, and replacing light fixtures).
- Ability to follow oral and written communication
- Various indoor and outdoor weather conditions.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Preform tasks despite frequent interruptions
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, and move up to of 35 pounds.
- May be exposed to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc.
- Interacts with residents, family members, staff, visitors, government agencies/personnel under all circumstances, which may be traumatic situations.
Overtime as required.
At MacLeod Cares, we pride ourselves of offering a competitive and comprehensive wage and benefit package. MacLeod Cares is also an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.