Continuing Care Assistant
MacLeod Shiretown Nursing Home
About This Job
Continuing Care Assistants/Personal Care Workers (CCA/PCW) are a part of the health care team that provide residents with assistance with activities of daily living. Residents in long term care facilities have self care deficits that require this support. CCA and PCW will work to their identified scope of practice. All duties performed will follow optimal safety standards to ensure the comfort and safety of residents and safety of staff and visitors. Major responsibilities include:
- Develop, implement and utilize the care plan process and document to set priorities and plan daily care and duties
- Update pertinent personal care information on documentation records and update RN/LPN at end of shift
- Observe and report any change in the condition of the resident to the RN/LPN or Director of Nursing. This may include but not be limited to changes such as: skin changes, mood changes, appetite changes, bowel routine changes etc.
- Participate in the overall management of resident care and the environment which may include but not be limited to: OH&S Committee, Infection Control Committee, Interdisciplinary Care Committee, etc.
- Promotes resident’s optimal functioning by encouraging residents to make choices and remain as independent as possible
- Demonstrate competency in safe work procedures and general safety program which include but are not limited to: safe transfer techniques, proper use of personal protective equipment, fire safety procedures, WHIMIS, evacuation procedures, etc
The CCA/PCW is required to provide direct care to a population of residents with a variety of medical conditions .The CCA/PCW is expected to have a general understanding of what this population requires as a result of an overall need for physical, emotional, social and spiritual support.
- CCA/PCW Certificate or equivalent
- Possess a sincere desire to work with the elderly and others with a limited capacity for self-care
- Possesses the ability to work with and provide care to individuals with a wide range of personality traits and maturity levels
- Possesses the ability to be a good team worker and encourage the development of good interpersonal relationships
- Ability to attend work on a regular and consistent basis
- WHMIS Training
- Alzheimer’s Course an asset
The CCA/PCW is expected to create a calm and collaborative working relationship with residents, families and co workers. Good judgement is required to recognize changes in the resident’s status and report same to RN. As part of the Nursing Care Team, the PCW/CCA is expected to be enthusiastic and take initiative to provide meaningful activity in the course of the workday. Active participation in the care plan process is essential.
At MacLeod Cares, we pride ourselves of offering a competitive and comprehensive wage and benefit package. MacLeod Cares is also an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
For more details, download a full job description of the Continuing Care Assistant/Personal Care Worker role here